Just catching up on a slew of posts from blogs that cover the online ad space. Here are some tidbits that caught my eye.
Interesting comment from a recent Adotas blog post regarding targeting people instead of pages:
From Fred Wilson summarizing the comScore whitepaper on the unseen benefits of display advertising, compared to search:
It’s clear that display advertising, despite a lack of clicks, can have a significant positive impact on:
- Visitation to the advertiser’s Web site (lift of at least 46% over a four week period)
- The likelihood of consumers conducting a search query using the advertiser’s branded terms (a lift of at least 38% over a four week period)
- Consumers’ likelihood of buying the advertised brand online (an average 27% lift in online sales)
- Consumers’ likelihood of buying at the advertiser’s retail store (an average lift of 17%)
The whitepaper also reminded readers that while search advertising was far more effective than display, display ads have 10x the reach that search ads do. I've pointed out before the difference in volume and eCPM rates of search vs display advertising and comScore points out that marketers ought to utilize both for maximum effectiveness.
I also noted in the comments two specific quotes from Gian Fulgoni, comScore chairman:
- Ffour independent studies (one of them conducted by comScore) have now shown that at least 30% of Internet users delete their cookies in a month.
- Average click through rates on display ads have dropped to under 0.1%